Monday 30 March 2009

Award of 'Discovery Of The Month, March 2009' - 'Badge' by Cream, Royal Albert Hall, 2005

This thinktank is somewhat different in mood to the previous post... :)

It's good to be in firm friendship with people who - in some areas - share your musical tastes. You have something to discuss and enjoy together. Still, it's awesome even more when your friends are keen in other musical areas than you. This creates a space for you to be introduced to the new territories.

I've have had my musical tastes defined pretty sharply for 20 years now, being a devoted classic rock field explorer for about 16 years. I have a wide knowledge of my favourite areas, but my tastes never go strictly along with the critically aclaimed paths. Some performers take me a hell of time to get accustomed to. I guess Pink Floyd (with underlined influence of David Gilmour) is a brillant example to the thesis. I mean, in 2006 I was 27 and up to then I've never heard "The Dark Side Of The Moon" in it's entirety, although I already knew the Waters-less CDs by the band and liked them a lot. I sunk into the Floyd void relatively late and - typically - on my own rules of picking up my favourite staples.

And just about two weeks ago I got exposed to a kind of similar happenings. While having a good, relaxing time at my friends' place in Cracow - the reunion Cream DVD from2005, shot during the Royal Albert Hall 4-nighter, was put on. I was pretty much stuck in awe, I have to say!

I remember that when I've first heard the rumours that Clapton, Baker and Bruce shall re-unite, I thought 'Naah, old stiff museum expo's - it won't do them any good'. At the time of the gigs no good sounding bootlegs were around so my intrest in the case got diluted. And now I got to see and hear it in style - and I was amazed!

Bruce and Baker's playing was completely opposing their quite frightening old men appeal. They did really good job throughout. And it was Clapton that won my attention the most. I very much liked his playing - the bluesy but aggressive tone and nicely laid back improvisations. The balance between enjoying the live play and discipline (not dragging the songs to overlength) was well kept, maybe with exclusion of drum solo vehicle 'Toad'. The rest of the set contained reenditions of classics that - to my ear (practicly infamiliar with Clapton's back catalogue) - were very fresh and surprisingly enjoyable. I really liked what I've heard, and I joyously got beaten to that. Pretty unlikely compared to my thumbs down to EC's poppy - sloppy approach in the radio favourites of his. Here on stage he had a real vibe and a snapping bite in many of the songs.

And then it came: moments that the listener lives for. It's when you discover the track that fits your hearing sense flawlessly. I instantly fell in love with 'Badge'. A wonderful moment when the chord before solo is let ring and the Fender roarrrrrrrrrrrrrs... What a punch, later concluded with a highly enjoyable and well let-rip Eric's improvisation. I'd never expect to hear this sort of beloved sound, from EC in particular! I got head over heels about this track and it's an immense pleasure. And there's much more of such treats in this material. Clapton is delightful, allocating himself a little bit somewhere in Gilmour's vain in a way (David is, of course, far less bluesy). Still the both of masters are charmingly melodic. Cream's classic set here is likely to get you enchanted. Be a rough-edged rockman during your workdays, on your leisure time this blues fuelled but nevertheless drivey 2 hour expierience sounds like a real gem find.

And indeed I have to say - it's nice to be exposed to a chance to explore a new field of music that may bring some more inspiration and excitement. That's what I'm living for!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the concert:) "Badge" is a great song indeed and like all other songs played during those shows it reaches that special height of loose, improvised artistry unpresent while performed in studio.

    The important thing to note is that Clapton, just like other guitarists of his generation, has evolved, and thus when you compare the 2005 concerts to "Cream Live 1 & 2", recorded back in the late 60s and for many years the only available official live album from Cream, you can clearly hear the difference of his approach.

    I'd say the change is in his case for better and wouldn't be possible if he hadn't gone through all the, as you called it, "poppy - sloppy approach" :)

    ReplyDelete